Helpful Tips to Keep Your Appliances Operating Efficiently
Before calling Menno’s Appliance Repairs Ltd. for service, have you checked the following?
- Do you have power to your unit? Check to make sure the plug is fully in the receptacle and reset your breaker accordingly.
- Are your appliance’s controls properly set and are the lids or doors properly closed?
- Is your water supply on your appliance fully on?
- For appliances with electronic controls, removing them from your power source for 10 minutes may allow the board to reset.
- Is your load balanced and the machine not overloaded? The number-one cause of premature washer failure and a shortened machine lifespan is due to overloading.
- Make sure your washer’s controls are set for the appropriate load type and size.
- Are you using the proper soap? Front-load washers require high-efficiency soap.
- Always clean your dryer’s lint screen after every load.
- Is your dryer taking too long to dry? Check to make sure your venting is not kinked, restricted or excessively long and that your vent outlet at the exterior wall opens and is not plugged.
- Overloading causes premature wear and longer than normal drying times. Loads should be able to tumble freely in your dryer’s drum.
- Always rinse larger food items off your dishes. Dishwashers have soft-food macerators but large food pieces will plug your filters and screens.
- Paper from labels, plastics, toothpicks, popcorn, pits and seeds are the most common cause of dishwasher problems.
- Make sure your rinse agent dispenser is full.
- Your water temperature should be between 120-140 degrees for best results.
- Clean your condenser coils on a regular basis. On most refrigerators, the coils are behind the front kick plate and can be easily accessed. On other refrigerators, the condenser coils are accessed from the back after removing the back panel. When cleaning, always unplug your unit.
- Level your refrigerator with a gentle slope from front-to-back, as this will aid in the doors closing easily.
Always know where your water shut-offs are located for your washer, dishwasher and refrigerator. In case of a water leak or flood issue, you will be able to easily and quickly shut off the water. Remember that small problems can become bigger problems over time! Therefore, it is important to have your appliances serviced if there are any minor issues.